Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mr. Stretch


I reached out to hug my youngest on his way to school this morning, and , suddenly, he was taller than me. Hold on! When did this happen? He still hasn't put on any beef, mainly because he has the fastest metabolism possible and is never still even though he eats all the time, so I hadn't noticed. Davis is like the "Mr. Stretch" doll that Clayton once had.
Mr. Stretch was so cool. He did exactly what his name indicates. How he could do it was the biggest mystery, until one fateful day.... Clayton made the mistake of taking Mr. Stretch to an outdoor cookout at someone's house. It was one of those gatherings of families where the adults talk and the kids are left to their own entertainment with not much attention paid to them. When it was time to leave, Mr. Stretch could not be found.
We looked and looked for Mr. Stretch to no avail until he was spotted in an unlikely place...a wastecan in an out-of-the-way room...oozing corn syrup from his over-stretched armpit...a victim of older boys' curiosity.
Anyway...Davis is Mr. Stretch without the oozing corn syrup. He keeps getting taller and thinner. When the "baby" passes me in height, I know my job is getting ready to be "phased out". When did this happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment