Thursday, April 3, 2008

Broom Man


My neighborhood has a Broom Man. He is perserverence and diligence personified. I have seen him getting off of the city bus at 7:30 a.m., ready to hit the pavement selling his product...brooms... not stopping until they are all sold. I've seen him in 100 plus degree heat, and I saw him today in the cold, misty rain.
Broom Man encourages me. I see him and I want to set goals for myself and work hard to see them become reality. Broom Man births compassion in my heart. I wish I could buy all his brooms, for twice the price, and tell him to go home and have a vacation. I wish I knew Broom Man's real name. I wish he could be the High Profile person in Sunday's paper because I think his life is much more interesting than the life of the incoming Jr. League President or the Riverfest Chairperson, or some banker in a suit talking about his fantasy dinner.
I've lived in this town all my life, and I can not remember a time when there was not a Broom Man. He's been going strong for 40 years. Today...he was looking a bit old...and all-the-more I wanted to buy all his brooms...and send him home.

No comments:

Post a Comment