Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Inaugural Crazy-Lady Ride



I have three bicycles: A vintage 1972 black Raleigh English touring bike received the Christmas of my thirteenth year complete with fenders and a ding dong bell; a purple beach cruiser snatched up last spring from my neighborhood junk store; and my recent 21-speed legit Schwinn that will allow me to actually ride some real miles as soon as I find a new and more comfortable seat.

After the recent Schwinn purchase, I had contemplated selling the purple cruiser.

I couldn't.

The Cruiser is too near being the 3-wheeled cycle with a huge rear basket which has long lived in my fantasy life. I still dream of being the crazy- lady who rides her bike daily to the grocery store.

Yesterday, I strapped the best bike basket I have onto the basket spot of the Cruiser, preparing for the inaugural crazy- lady ride into my neighborhood's retail district, which we call "downtown Hillcrest" (because my neighborhood is like a small town surrounded by city).

There are not words to describe the joy I experienced. I mailed a package at the Post Office and deposited money at the bank. I felt a bit odd, but no one paid any attention to me at all. No one thought I was crazy.

I rode home feeling greener than Kermit the Frog, all the while a dream was hatching in my head.

I dream of a neighborhood where riding to the post office, grocery store, local coffee house and bank are not the exception, but the norm. I dream of becoming the most cycle friendly neighborhood around. Somehow I would like to champion this cause, but, until then, I want to make this biking thing a regular part of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Love this! I live within biking distance of all of that stuff (walking distance, too) but too often I just get in the car. Great reminder.

    Love your bike, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't steal Toto from Dorothy, I'm happy for you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea! Unfortunately, I live about 12 miles outside of town on gravel roads and umm, I don't have a bike. But I salute your endeavor. How cool. I hope you are able to enjoy many more bike rides to your quaint little town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would get creamed if I did that....Cantrell is not very bike friendly! :)

    So sorry to hear about Davis' collar bone. After our talk at the game, I know ya'll were devastated with that news.

    I am praying that God uses these disappointments in our boy's lives to make them stronger men of character!

    and you are so right...there's always next year doesn't cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!! And just think of the spring time and your basket full of fresh flowers! But I think we need a photo of you ON your bike too :D

    ReplyDelete