The Neighborhood 'Crazy'I live in an incredible mid-town neighborhood that is very pedestrian-friendly. I could walk to everything I ever need in life. If my boys didn't attend a private school, which is a 20 minute drive away, I would park my car and never get in it again. I tell my boys that one day I will be the neighborhood 'crazy' who wears funny hats and drives her three-wheeled 'bike' to the grocery store.
Shortly after my youngest had celebrated his tenth birthday, with his pockets full of birthday cash, we spotted a shiny adult trike parked near a store. This trike had been tempting me for a while. It was wrapped with wicker and was oh-so European looking (also oh-so expensive....$800).
"How much is that bike?" my very 'rich', generous son asked. I promise he was determined to buy that trike for me (awwww moment).
Back to my neighborhood...
Here are 25 Random Reasons Why I Love My Hillcrest Neighborhood:
- We have a tiny hamburger 'joint' that's been around since the 40's, and they make the best chocolate malts.
- Our neighborhood is casual and flip flops are welcome everywhere.
- The people are very eclectic and diverse...lots of artists and creative types.
- We have two world-class pizza places within walking distance.
- Shady oak trees.
- Front porches with guitar players on them.
- Saturday home renovation sounds of hammers and saws.
- Fresh ground coffee from our local coffee, tea & candy company.
- The Arkansas Razorbacks play at a stadium also within walking distance. On fall game days, lots of festive tail-gating in front yards.
- Sidewalks that get used a lot.
- Sunday afternoons we have a very fun 'junk' shop that displays its new inventory on its front lawn. It's fun to get there first for the best bargains.
- Summer walks to the shave ice stand.
- The public library is very close.
- I have a favorite park which makes me think I am miles away from the city.
- We have doggie fountain.
- Art Galleries featuring neighborhood artists.
- Our bank gives out free food on Fridays.
- The first Thursday of the month, Hillcrest opens all its shops, has street bands in mild weather and everyone rolls out.
- The nearby middle school has a track for all those New Year's resolutions I make.
- Church bells chime after weddings.
- Greek, Mexican, American, Brazilian, French, and Italian food within blocks of each other.
- Used to have a cool coffee house, but now it's 'for sale'. Somebody please buy it!
- Seeing fresh life breathed into an old house.
- We have bumper stickers that make me laugh.
- We are not the McMansion neighborhood.
What Makes Your Neighborhood Special?