Thursday, March 31, 2011

Afraid to Scratch My Head

I recently read a de-cluttering article in which the author encouraged "de-clutter-ers", such as myself, to document the items given away or sold. If the memory is not in the object, the author stated, then a photo brings back the same memories, right? And a photo takes up lots less room!

I remember the day I acquired this wonderful 19th century homespun blanket with its home- sweet- home cozy style (which still looks classically fabulous with crisp, white linens). It was the Spring of 1986; a local collector was auctioning her primo early American New England primitive antiques.

It was a gorgeous spring day. The auction was under a tent. The event was everything I thought an antique auction experience should be! It was my first and only auction with bidding. I was so afraid to move an inch in my folding chair, or even to scratch my head because I had heard stories about auctions and scratching your head and owing money you didn't have, etc.

My heart beat so fast when the man said "Sold!" as he pointed to me. I couldn't wait to get this blanket home.

It is still a great treasure... just time to let someone else enjoy.



8 comments:

  1. You really want the bicycle pretty badly, don't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't find it annoying that I'm replying to your comment in your comments-I couldn't email you. Thanks for the comment on my floors;we used honed white carrera marble and honed absolute black granite to form the pattern. I decided to use the black granite because I wanted to avoid too many veins.Buying it honed was my way of dressing it down a bit.Have a great weekend.

    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to an auction. It sounds fun.

    I, too, love to declutter.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Bev. I met you at the little Arkansas Women Bloggers event several months ago. I lost your card and so never made it over to your blog. But I just found your info. yesterday!! I'm glad, because I really enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your ventures in your cottage. If you'll remember, I was the gal with four small children who knows nothing whatsoever about home maintenance or remodeling. :) Anyway, I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Love your blog, by the way!! I find it fascinating. And I, too, enjoy decluttering. I can always stand to do more of that! Following you on Networked Blogs now. Hope you can stop by my site sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story Bev :) My first auction was really exciting too - I had no idea it would be that exciting! It was a quilt club several cities away. I was the winning bidder on my small, bow-tie wall quilt, which I still love. I so remember my heart pounding fast just as you described!

    This is a GREAT blanket - I think anyone would LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl!

    I had to call my SIL and show her the Mrs. Beasley. She sold hers a few years back with the same wonderful memories attached.

    The bike will be peddling your way soon.

    Thank you so much for stopping by Donna's. All the different organizing posts will help so many I hope.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    xxx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhhhhh... The memories!! I subscribe to the memory - the stuff theory and it has served me well. Even the hard to part with items are rarely missed :)
    Captain Kangaroo & Family Affair were some of my favs too. I always wanted to be Buffy... It took me getting cancer & thinking I would lose my hair to turn it blonde enough ;D I've kept my hair but I have yet to don the pigtails. If I were rich, I would snag Mrs. Beasley for my own girls. I rummaged my mom's garage/attic for my own long lost MB. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete