Monday, October 19, 2009

A Fall Weekend in Upstate New York

Hello...West Point!

Just a collection of photos from this past weekend. I tagged along with Jeff as he was the speaker for the West Point OCF Fall Retreat. Happily, my favorite Cadet was one of the awesome people with whom we got to spend time. I am very glad I went. It was an experience I will never forget. There were some divine appointments for me, and I learned a lot.

Better yet...Hello, Clayton!!!

Clayton and Jeff at the Camp with fall color in the background...great for Clayton just to ditch the uniform and be in his favorite jeans, coat, and beanie.

Camp Pinnacle near Albany was established in the late 1800's and is still going strong. We spent a good amount of time with the Cadets. I listened to Cadets from Alaska, California, and Miami. I learned that it is therapeutic for them to have someone listen to the stories they tell about their families and home... because they miss their families as much as their families miss them!

In our free time, Clayton, Jeff, and I hiked around the camp just talking, enjoying the trees, and, most importantly...just being together.

Spending time with Clayton was such a gift. Thanks, God!

Back at the "institution" as Clayton calls it and time to return to reality, for Clayton it was the history paper that awaited him, for us, the drive to Newark Airport and regular life at Hillcrest Cottage.


I was fine with the 'good-bye' thing until he said, "Bye, Mama...see you at Christmas." Then, I had to hold back the tears because
Christmas seems like such a long time away....

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to make the trip! These are a few more memories to keep all of you warm.

    It looked really cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a such a beautiful campus. I had the opportunity to spend some time there for work (back in the BC days), and it's truly one of my favorite places in the country.

    So glad you got to spend time with him. Hope Christmas comes sooner than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh........ I am reading this (finally) the day after Christmas. What a tearjerking post. A wonderful visit - I'm so happy for you - and I hope your Christmas with your favorite cadet was filled with blessings.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete