Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Scarlett O'Hara and Lobster Buoys

Thinking about summer today. 

Shades of blue like the Arkansas summer sky on a clear day, but slightly overcast with a gentle breeze so it's not too overwhelmingly hot. 

Shades of blue like the ocean seen from under a beach umbrella's shade. The vintage Maine lobster buoy reminds me of the good seafood meals eaten while slightly burned shoulders are whispering, 

"It was a great day because nothing  but laziness was accomplished." 

Happy vintage art and calligraphy make summer afternoons last a bit longer. When the leaves start to fall and the fireflies have flown away and the cicadas have become silent, a great summer art piece celebrates laziness all year long.

"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

I am revisiting a used book bought on a snowy English afternoon. Gone with the Wind is an American classic; I snagged this one printed in Great Britain as the 1939 Holiday Edition. It was 2 pounds sterling. It was purchased for such a day as this and must be read in a hammock set- up under a spreading live oak... or on the front porch with cushy pillows and a ceiling fan gently twirling.

"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm...." 

Bring out the sweet tea.

And...what about an impromptu picnic with homemade chicken salad and pickles made by a great aunt? Also add brownies fresh out of the oven. Spread a vintage- 50's- yellow- rose tablecloth somewhere shady and wait for the ants to arrive.

Enjoy whatever says "summer" to you.

Framed Art, Lobster Buoy for Sale at HillcrestCottage.Etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. What says summer to me: sleeveless shirts and t's, mint growing in my garden, knock-out roses, mosquitoes (unfortunately),and strolling families on my street. Love your thoughts...

    JS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strolling families on my street...I love that, too! Last weekend I sat on my front porch for several hours reading and listening to the laughter and voices of several other neighboring porches. The sounds were very summer-like and comforting and happy. If someone ever breaks out their guitar...it is over-the-top awesome.

      Delete